Saturday, April 25, 2009

Ice Cream "Cake"

My old roommate requested an ice cream cake for her birthday a couple months ago. I searched for recipes online, and came to the conclusion that we both just wanted brownies with it. Therefore, I didn't really follow a recipe, but just winged it. It's really easy to make, especially when you get to see these pictures of how I did it. Thanks to my models: Adrianne, Rachel, and Krista. This is just delicious!

I use Duncan Hines Chewy Fudge Brownies. Make it just like the directions say on the back. However, I bake it on a cookie sheet at 350° for 15 minutes (I'm a big fan of the chewy brownies.)

A spring form pan works best for this. I haven't tried it without it, but I can imagine it would be painful. The side of the pan can pull away from the bottom, making the final product MUCH easier to cut and serve!

Once the brownies are done cooking and cooled, take the bottom of the spring form pan and cut out two circles in the brownies (for your two layers). I guess it depends on what pan you have, but mine was large enough that I couldn't get two complete circles. One had a chunk missing (it was part of the other circle), and I would just use that when I did the bottom layer and fill in some of the excess brownie into it.

I cut the circles into quarters to make it easier to transfer to the spring form pan.


And voila! The first layer.

Next I put a layer of Smuckers Hot Fudge. Use however much you want. A couple of times I used the entire bottle. But it can get a little messy.

And the next layer is the ice cream! Use your imagination with whatever flavor you want. This one was a traditional Cookie Dough Ice cream cake. I cut the carton off of the ice cream, and then cut slices (however thick you want your ice cream layers to be). Just remember you have to get two layers of ice cream out of it.

Put the pieces in the pan and fill in the spots.

Put in the next layer of brownies.

Then the second layer of ice cream.

Spread it all out.

Cover with foil and put it in the freezer. They say 3 to 4 hours, but overnight is the best. You should probably put it on a plate or something, the ice cream is very soft and melting by the time you're done making it that it will leak a little from the bottom of the spring form pan before the freezer is able to do its job.

Once it's frozen, take it out and put a layer of Cool Whip on it. Then, if you've planned for it, add any candy topping you want. One of the other times I made the Cookie Dough one, Krista made a small batch of chocolate chip cookie dough and we rolled up little pieces to put on the top and freeze. When I made my roommates Mint Chocolate Chip one, I chopped up Andes Mints and put them on top. Then, you cover it again and put it back in the freezer for another hour or so.

Now you're ready to serve it!

Take the side of the spring form pan off, and cut the bad boy!

Look at that deliciousness!

Obviously, I just made this how I wanted to. So you can cater it to your own needs. It you want more/thicker layers of brownies, then do it! It's up to you!

3 comments:

Calene said...

This looks awesome, Mere! Your models are the best....way better than Pioneer Woman!

Cate said...

oh, does this look delish. and your girls are adorable, too.

Pam Saltmarsh said...

i am making these as we speak (type). Thanks Meredith for sharing~you're great! Ü Pam